Staff holiday parties are a staple for most companies, big or small. When planned carefully they’re a great opportunity to not only appreciate your staff but boost employee satisfaction and retention. Company parties have also been known to help in validating employees, promoting creativity, boosting company morale, and creating a better, more focused team.
Companies should aim to host at least a casual gathering, lunch, happy hour, or one annual party a year – while keeping costs manageable. “End of the Year” parties that are not only respectful to cultural differences but inclusive of all staff, are a great way to start the new year on a positive note.
Planning the Perfect Party
If you’re in charge of planning your company holiday party, you’ll first want to consider the basics – number of attendees, theme, location, date of event, food and drinks. Remember to maintain a positive and safe environment – while keeping things fun.
Staff Holiday Party Do’s and Don’ts:
- DON’T make everyone introduce themselves one-by-one. Instead have attendees wear name tags.
- DON’T talk about work related topics.
- DON’T plan activities that encourage drinking.
- DO provide icebreakers for attendees by incorporating a game or trivia questionnaire. Give out small prizes to motivate engagement.
- DO set up a unique experience opportunity, such as a photobooth. Allow guest to take as many photos as they want. Ensure there are plenty of props.
- DO set a limit on free cocktails per guest with drinking vouchers – if serving alcohol. If guests have to purchase beverages themselves, they are less likely to drink.
- DO keep all dietary restrictions in mind while offering a variety of different tastes.
- DO plan the party to fit your business. Most restaurants cant close during the holiday season. Throwing your holiday party in January may benefit your team. People are more likely to attend if the event fits in their lifestyle.
- DO advise attendees prior to the event to drink in moderation and to avoid driving after drinking by using driving services such as Uber or Lyft.
- DO have fun and enjoy the seasons.